Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ask Mrs. B About…Out Of My Mind

Out Of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
“Words have always swirled around me like snowflakes--each one delicate and different, each one melting untouched in my hands.
Deep within me, words pile up in huge drifts. Mountains of phrases and sentences and connected ideas. Clever expressions. Jokes. Love songs….
But only in my head.
I have never spoken one single word. I am almost eleven years old.”

Melody is stuck in a class at Spaulding Street School where her days consist of easy alphabet lessons and nursery school songs. But Melody is capable of so much more! Even though she was born with Cerebral Palsy and can’t walk or talk, Melody is very bright. She might even be the smartest kid in school…but no one knows it. Her words and thoughts are trapped in her head and she’s going OUT OF HER MIND!

Melody enters fifth grade and her school starts inclusion classes. She is excited since this will be a great opportunity to be included with the so-called “normal” kids. Her wish for a gadget that shows Garfield-like speech bubbles over her head doesn’t come true, but Melody does get a special computer that allows her to speak for the first time. But even though the computer allows her to speak, that doesn’t mean she is always heard.

Melody’s story is full of many twists and turns and includes friends and family who love and support her, “mean girls” who are just plain rude, a quiz bowl competition and much more. If you’ve ever felt unheard or misunderstood, you’ll want to read Out Of My Mind. I guarantee you will cheer for Melody!

No comments:

Post a Comment